Thursday 24 February 2011

I recently visited the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art to get some inspiration for a current unit I am covering in my college where I am going to create my own installation.  Whilst I was there I took particular interest to the work by Lindsay Seers who designed the idea for these large shapes to be placed in a this room with a strange looking building behind them, you can actually go inside this structure into complete darkness and after finding your way around a few corridors you come to a balcony which you look over, down onto a round screen where different projections are shown and a voice over tells you the story. There is also a small separate room attached to this one where you can watch a short 20 minute video explaining some of Lindsay Seers work, I did not find this particularly interesting but it did however explain her concept better. This installation inspired me to create something very thought provoking that could possibly tell a story or create emotions amongst the audience, something that you don’t necessarily understand at first and something very strange and random so that people are immediately interested. The idea of confusing the audience is a very good way of also creating interest amongst people.
George ShawThis is one of the photographs that were shown in one of the galleries where the BALTIC decided to show the work of George Shaw. These pictures have been painted using Humbrol enamel, and are all painted from photographs taken during the artists childhood as he grew up in Coventry. These photographs create a very unnerving feel because they seem so desolate and lonely, for example the painting below which shows a swing set without the swings is a very thought provoking piece.  This gallery inspires me to place some of my own photography around the walls of the studio and set something up like this for myself where people and come view my work. It also inspires me to somehow involve my photography by creating a strange viewing experience combining the two ideas I get from both George Shaw and Lindsay Seers.

No comments:

Post a Comment